Public Speaking Courses
Looking to fasttrack your public speaking skills?
- Do you need to communicate more effectively at work, home or socially?
- Do you want to present your ideas convincingly in an organised and logical manner?
- Are you looking to improve your self confidence in front of an audience?
Fasttrack your personal goals through the world recognised Toastmasters International Speechcraft program in an intensive 4 – 6 week program with 2-3 hours time requirement per week, and around 10 participants all working through a structured programme of learning..
We conduct Speechcraft programs in three States in Australia. There is more general information below, but if you want to go straight to an outline of courses in your locality, select your State from this list:
Speechcraft programs are conducted in two tailored ways
Public courses are where individuals, either privately or work sponsored, join together for training provided by experienced, skilled Toastmasters International members.
Corporate courses are where an employer hosts a group of employees for in-house training. The skills covered are similar to public courses, but are conducted in-house and limited to participants nominated by the company. These courses are tailored to meet the needs and are structured to best fit with the work demands of the workplace..
What benefit will you get from taking a Speechcraft course?
During the course you can expect to develop and learn to:
- practice both prepared and impromptu speeches;
- use gestures and body language;
- evaluate speeches;
- improve your listening skills;
- introduce speakers;
- reduce unnecessary filler words (eg. er, uhm, ah);
- maintain effective eye contact with an audience; and
- speak to time limits
How does the program work?
The Speechcraft public speaking program exposes each participant to a wide range of communication and learning experiences in small group workshops run weekly over a six week period.
- The Manual Each participant receives a professionally published Toastmaster International Speechcraft Manual plus a range of learning materials.
- Speaking skills are explained before each speaking assignment.
- Training workshops Training in key speaking skills is provided.
- Prepared speeches Participants prepare and present speeches in a relaxed atmosphere. Speeches are designed with the novice in mind – you do not need any experience! Some preparation outside of course hours is required.
- Impromptu speaking During each meeting, short impromptu speaking sessions are conducted to help you learn to think on your feet.
- Evaluations After each presentation you receive a constructive speech evaluation, initially from the course trainers and then from your peers. This process recognises a speaker’s strengths and provides valuable, constructive guidance on how future presentations may be improved.
- Continuous improvement Each participant is encouraged to embrace the Toastmasters International motto: ‘Better Listening, Better Thinking, Better Speaking’.
- Course Certificate At the end of the course you will receive a signed Certificate of Completion.
Comments from some who have done Speechcraft:
- “I learnt about the various components to Public Speaking which made it such a challenging skill to learn. I gained confidence in my ability to speak to groups of people, and I enjoyed the supportive atmosphere of my peers. This is a program I’d definitely recommend to anyone who wants to improve their public speaking skills.” Kathy
- “I have been exposed to the key aspects of public speaking which has enabled me to adapt those aspects to my daily life.” Anonymous
- “Speechcraft has taught me not only how to prepare, deliver and present myself for the greatest effect, it has also expanded my confidence! I don’t see public speaking as such a scary activity anymore which is a huge step forward for me!” Karen
- “Try it out. It is a supportive positive group of people who work to foster your confidence and teach real practical skills in public speaking. I have gained so much.” AB
Where do I go to find a course?
You can go to an outline of courses in your locality. Select your State from this list:
Too intensive? Can’t commit to a 6 – 8 week structured program? Looking for longer-term development?
Find the right Club near you and work at your own pace in a supportive Club environment.